To remove trace amounts of color or black specks, this procedure can be used for “on the fly” purging.
- Keep operation running normally, but prepare to divert the product from the finished goods stream.
- Load hopper with Purgex.
Note: Amount of Purgex needed is equivalent to 1-1/2 times the barrel volume.
- Feed rapidly in one fast slug.
- Increase screw speed until safe pressure limits have been reached.
- Purge through entire downstream system, including die if possible (die gap must be at least .030 inches).
- Use maximum safe screw speed (within safe pressure limits) for one minute, then vary the screw speed from maximum to low to medium, completing the purge at maximum.
- Turn off extruder and clean screen pack or install new.
- Follow the Purgex feed with the next resin, and observe material for acceptability.
- Resume production.
Questions? Call our Technical Support team at (800) 803-6242.